Time to Move to Mars

Global warming is causing the planet to become uninhabitable.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Desalination- seems easy enough

With the whole Southeastern United Stateis is in a drought that is considered "extreme or worse" we must ask the question, "If global warming is responsible for this drought: a) will it get worse AND b) what will we do if it gets worse?"
I believe global warming is responsible for the drought in the southeastern US. I was reading about ways to desalinize water and I came up with this article from LiveScience.com:
Why Desalination Doesn't Work (Yet)
It talks about drought and the fact that it is worsening all over the world. Desalination is simple. All you have to do is evaporate salt water (or boil it) and use the condensed freshwater as drinking water. Salors on ships used to do it. Why can't we?
Apparently, it is because:
"A typical American uses 80 to 100 gallons of water a day, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The entire country consumes about 323 billion gallons per day of surface water and another 84.5 billion gallons of ground water.
If half of this water came from desalination, the United States would need more than 100 extra electric power plants, each with a gigawatt of capacity."

80 gallons of water a day??? Come on! I can't even drink one gallon of water a day? Where is this all going? Down the drain when we take our showers?
I don't think I need to use THAT much water a day. I take short showers, I don't wash my clothes unless they are really dirty, and I am a bit of a dirtball. I like being that way, use up less water. Still, I am trying to evaluate my water usage and figure out ways to use less:
1) Take short showers, only wash the parts of your body that smell.
2) Flush the toilet less...or just don't piss unless you really have to.
3) wash dishes by hand, use less soap so that you don't have to use as much water to rinse them.
4) wash clothes only when they are really dirty.; i.e. If they don't smell, they are not dirty.
-use a simple quick rinse when clothes aren't that dirty ( most dryers have this setting).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home